Follow me on:

Monday 4 August 2014

Smoky Chicken Enchiladas!


2 weeks ago, I made some chicken enchiladas (recipe from SORTED) with my boyfriend and it was amazing! We substituted a few ingredients (shown at the end) for the ones I had in my pantry but it was still as yummy. This is the outcome of our cooking! :D I'm very proud of myself, (haha, small achievement), because it not only looked good but tasted good. It took quite a while to chop and get everything ready but the results was worth it! The last enchilada has no cheese on it because it was for my mum and she can't eat cheese so let's just ignore that and pretend it's pretty.



Right before I put the dish in the oven! Everything was cooked already - just needed to melt the cheese and make everything warm.


In my oven baking! (Not the best picture, sorry. ) It was set at 355 Fahrenheit or 180°C, baked for 20-25 minutes.

Feelings: The preparation and waiting was worth it - the enchiladas were delicious!  Both my boyfriend and I stuffed ourselves silly with these while watching our Harry Potter movie marathon ;). This is definitely the dish to make if you have a bit of time and a craving for enchiladas! The total cost was about $18 in gathering the ingredients we didn't have (wraps, spices, peppers, coriander, cheese, avocado), but (!) we had enough extra ingredients in the end for another batch! So it was all worth it :). We also had to get a bag of avocados instead of one (grr) because they didn't have any singles in the grocery. :( so that was more expensive.

The only problem I had was that we didn't use a saucepan to simmer the sauce on top of the enchiladas (tomato paste and diced tomatoes). We used a larger pan which ended up causing the sauce to evaporate more quickly - thus causing most of the liquid to disappear. I also didn't take as many pictures as I should have during the progression but I will next time I make something!

Total cost: $18 approximately (with enough leftovers for another batch)
Serves: 4-5.

Ingredients:
- 5 tortilla wraps
- 4 chicken thighs (substituted instead of breast)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cajun spice
- bit of olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 red pepper
- tin of kidney beans
- fresh coriander
- shredded cheese inside and outside the enchilada
- 1 avocado (substituted instead of sweetcorn)
- pepper and salt to taste

Followed the recipe (for the most part) on: 
http://sortedfood.com/#!/chickenenchiladas/
Their food is delicious!

Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment